AREA SCHOOLS - District #177
Policy on use of District Facilities Philosophy
The buildings and properties of the school district shall be available for student and community use under policies adopted by the board of education. The primary function of the school buildings is to provide a means of achieving the educational objectives for Independent School District #177. This policy is to encourage the optimum use of school facilities by the citizens of the district while covering basic costs.
1. Regular school activities and organizations of the school have first priority in reserving the use of school facilities. Community Education sponsored or endorsed activities will have second priority. Other community activities shall have third priority.
2. Arrangements to use school facilities are to be made with the Facility Usage Coordinator at the District office by calling 507-831-6901.
3. All activities must be under the direction and supervision of a responsible adult. There must be adequate supervision, as determined by the administration, provided by the rental group at each activity. Doors will not be opened until the supervisor is present.
4. Use of the gym floor may require special terms and conditions.
5. In order to facilitate planning, if special equipment is needed for events or meetings, the Facility Usage Coordinator should be notified at the time of the rental request.
6. Kitchens in each of the cafeterias will be opened and available to groups only when a school food service employee is present . The school food service employee shall be responsible for opening and closing the kitchen.
7. In order to keep the use of the buildings safe and secure, groups are asked to honor the instructions provided by the school custodians. To insure this, a copy of the Philosophy, Policies and Request sections of this document will be provided to each rental group. The administration may deny the use of the school facilities to any person or group who violates any of the regulations or policies.
8. The buildings of Windom Area Schools District are a tobacco free environment, therefore, no use of tobacco will be allowed in any of the buildings. In addition, no alcoholic beverages will be allowed in the school buildings.
9. If a custodian or food service staff must be on duty at the time other than his/her normal working hours, an extra charge of time and half will be made. Sunday work will be double time.
10. All parties renting the facilities will be asked to sign an agreement specifying the terms of the rental including: liability for damage, loss or injury. A party renting any facility will be required to furnish proof of liability or other insurance coverage.
Rental fees charged will be based on a non-profit or profit status. In order to receive the non-profit rental rates the party must furnish a Minnesota or Federal tax-exempt number to prove their non-profit status. All other parties without tax-exempt number will be charged at the profit rate.
11. Any group requesting sponsorship or endorsement by the Community Education Program should contact the Community Education Program Director. Guidelines have been developed by the Community Education Advisory Council. Costs related to such facility usage will be handled by the Community Education Office.
12. Costs for rental of facilities and equipment will be assigned according to an established schedule dependent upon planned use.
13. The School Board reserves the right to waive or alter these policies and fees.
REQUESTS FOR USE OF
ALL use of school facilities for co-curricular students activities at the High School level will be scheduled by the High School Activities Director. Only after a date has been cleared by the High School Activities Director can facilities be used for other activities and rental.
1. All requests for the use of school facilities for other K-12 activities or for Community Education or by other organizations and commercial groups are to be handled through the Facility Usage Coordinator at the District Office.
2. A master calendar of past and future reservations will be kept by the Facility Usage Coordinator at the District Office. All reservations must be cleared by the use of these master calendars.
3. Copies of requests are to be provided to:
Supervisor of Custodians
Principal of the building being used
Custodian of the building being used
Teachers who normally use the room
Facility Usage Coordinator
4. The High School Activities Director shall coordinate scheduling school events with the Facility Usage Coordinator. Such coordination shall occur as soon as a school co-curricular students event is scheduled. The intent is to eliminate conflicts.
5. Once an event or activity is scheduled, an attempt will be made to not force rescheduling.
6. A Facility Usage form will be used by non-school groups to request the use of school facilities. This form will be given to the non-school group to fill out and return with all the pertinent information needed including: date of request, equipment needs, number of people attending, insurance information, etc.